Saturday 13 February 2021

Need a version control of IoT sensors, embedded docker containers

For a while now I have been building sensor software that runs on both Raspberry PI and embedded IoT platforms but I have a problem with deployment of versions.

For the embedded sensors I just just check every run for a new version and install but the problem is that it is an expensive operation as it take a few seconds for each run...

On the pi its a fully manual task that is either copying code or updating a container.

I want better :)


After looking at some of the code for Tasmota I think I found the start of how this will work.

Tasmota uses MQTT to send a subject to the device to inform it to update. This subject has the version number in it and if the current version is less the topic then it will update

I can make the PI also look at this topic for updates too.


Once I have the MQTT topic format sorted ( it will be similar to Tasmota ) then I will work on the PI to make it update a local binary file package, then make a docker controller to do the same in docker. Finally I will make a web site that allows for individual control of packages ( web, api and DB schema )

No comments:

Post a Comment