Sunday, 5 March 2017

Time for a little more Bacnet

Wow, time flies....
Just noticed that I am rocking it up to a year since my last post
And so what has happened since then, lost and not much

At work I have expanded my team and at home I have integrated a larger Bacnet device network

Now my Raspberry Pi has 5 DS1820 temperature sensors wired up all over the house and a EmonCMS power monitor connected up

All of these device are feeding back into our companies systems
It has been very interesting to watch what the BuilingIQ software can do with just this information. I can now see what is going on at home, when power is being used and if its for AC/heating or just day to day living

It will be interesting to try predictive power optimization when I get a AC that allows some form of communication ( and yes, that will be controlled via Bacnet )

So if your interested then visit the BuildingIQ web site or keep watching here as I continue the journey of a DIY Bacnet server

Sunday, 6 March 2016

Bacnet stack and the Rasberry Pi

So its been a fast year and I have changed a lot in 12 months.
Having left the relative security of full time employment I decided to go DevOps contracting.

I did some fun gig's around Auto-scaling applications and databases in AWS along with extremely large test and dev environments for government orgs and Insurance industries.

I found the time I spent doing contracting to be very rewarding as I skilled up on how these types of organizations function.

Then I moved back to full time employment. Not because contracting was hard but more because something exciting and challenging came along.

That was when I got introduced to bacnet.

Now as you know I have done a bit with x10 over the years but it is now become difficult to continue doing this on small scale embedded devices.

Along come bacnet on Rasberry Pi. Just having watched a video  demonstration on setting up on Pi I thought I would give it a try.

So first step was to download the code, and its hard to find a link
Then after reading the instructions I found that I needed to use version 0.7.1 of the stack. And thats old.....

So now I have migrated into using the latest version on github with the above patched in so enjoy the repo :)
https://github.com/jlcox1970/BACnet-Protocol-Stack

Saturday, 13 December 2014

The joys of moving to a new CentOS version, libvirt and Puppet

After a long time of running, or at least trying to run, virtual hosts on my 5 year old hardware I decided to splash out and get a new host.

Out goes the old AMD Phenom 4 gig ram and in with an AMD A10 16 gig ram.

First thing was to install a new CentOS 7 with libvirt (I just cannot get openstack to work ).

The CentOS install was very easy with a pxe boot out of my dnsmasq server. Got it up and running in 1/2  hour as I have been spinning up CentOS7 box in libvirt for a while.

Next, Puppet Enterprise 3.3.0. This is now a trivial task I have setup the pe_repo and its just a
curl -k https://${PE_SERVER_IP}:8140/packages/current/install.bash | bash

Now I have puppet running on the VM host box but the virt module (modified version of carlasousa/virt ) was having issues as I needed to install the ruby-libvirt gems and there is not one for CentOS7. This is where the fun begins......

Now PE uses its own version of ruby (1.9) where as the OS is ruby 2.0
This leads to a slightly complicated way of installing the gem files in PE.

  1. git clone the ruby-livirt repo     git clone git://libvirt.org/ruby-libvirt.git
  2. install all the packages that the autobuild script complains about
  3. once the build is finished you will find a gem file in the pkg directory
  4. gem install the file with "Puppet" version of gem
It was the last one that brought me undone for some time. Unfortunately you cannot just do a gem install as it pulls the wrong version and it still fails.

Shortly I will be releasing my version of puppet virt into the wild as it allows for some more good things when working with kvm and libvirt