Friday 21 February 2014

Need a serial comms protocol for rs485

I have worked out that I need to have several computers on plane:-
 1. Ground comms
 2. Flight control and waypoint intergrater
 3. APM interface
 4. Image processing

My idea is to run to serial bus links both in a multi-master arrangement. The link will need to have a watchdog running, and if a path cannot be made it will switch to the second link.

I will need to send mavlink and files across the link. I understand that I could possibly extend mavlink to also send files and images, but will it handle the flight control and a fairly continuous stream of images and 3d mesh.

The bus will also need to have some addressing and work on non-guaranteed communication. Whilst not expecting any connection issues, it must be catered for and as the data has a short time to live, protocols like TCP are not appropriate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment